Originally written July 2015, revised and updated where needed.
Before we get into the post, I want to give a big, giant disclaimer. Yes, spiritual attachments can cause harm. But, I want to caution you from going down the path that everything you're experiencing is spiritually caused only. I have done this too, and yes, this is coming from a shamanic healer. Yes, sure, pretty much everything has a spiritual basis as a lesson, teacher, or root cause, but physical ailments exist with physical causes that need to be addressed. I am NOT a medical doctor or qualified to give medical advice, and I only speak from spiritual experience. Please talk to a doctor if you believe your health to be at risk.
*Affiliate links appear in this post. When you click on them, you help support this blog at no difference in cost for you.
Although it sounds malicious, it isn't always, and more often than not, the harm caused is unintentional.
There are many different types of spirits (*affiliate link), just as there are many different types of individuals, human and not, who roam this earth.
Some spirit attachments are actually friendly, lost individuals who have inadvertently attached as a means to get energy, not realizing it was harmful. Others can be malicious and intentionally harmful. While still others can be souls who were troubled while alive, such as those with alcohol and drug use issues, who then attached to a living human in death to continue that behavior.
The reasons for a spirit to attach are as diverse as the reasons that anyone has to do anything. (You can read the most common reasons here).
In all cases, when a spirit attaches to you or someone you know, the effects can range from mild to severe. They can cause illnesses, drastically change behaviors, and even cause death. They can turn someone you know into a complete stranger.
Here are some of the most common things to look out for when determining if you have a spirit attachment. Like with everything, these can all also be signs of other things. I am not a medical doctor and am providing the viewpoint of a shamanic healer.
20 Signs and Symptoms of a Spirit Attachment
- Lethargy and feeling exhausted
- Chronic, mystery, ongoing illness
- Sudden onset of irritability, crankiness, or snappiness
- Anger or rage issues not previously present
- Drug or Alcohol Dependence
- Certain mental disorders like schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder
- Frequent nausea or stomach illness
- Feeling like the house you live in is always haunted
- Feeling like YOU are haunted
- Extreme and often dangerous mood fluctuations
- Any sudden behavioral or personality change
- A feeling of heaviness or pressure
- Waking up to presences around you at night
- Feeling like you’re “dragging” or being weighed down on a frequent basis
- Developing new vices
- Negative outlook on life not previously present
- Feeling like you have low energy
- Pain in specific areas of the body that has seemingly no other cause
- Bizarre, haunting, and horrifying dreams
- If you’re spiritually inclined, being able to see or feel the same spirit, again and again, is another sign. One who does not look or behave lovingly or compassionately, portrays deep, painful emotion when appearing to you, stands far away or comes in dreams only, and/or you have memories from childhood of this person.
For example, if your attachment is a little girl spirit who is scared, lonely and attached when you were a child, the behavioral and physical changes you notice will be different than if the attachment spirit is a once raging alcoholic who appeared only 2 months ago.
If you have a feeling, and check one or a few of these items off this list, it might be time to do something about it.
Spirit attachments are often difficult to remove on your own and the process can include many complex steps (There’s a whole textbook on the topic! *affiliate link). I recommend seeking out a qualified practitioner to assist you in doing this work, or, recommend one to your friend or family member in need.
In my Etsy shop, I have a guided journey meditation that walks you through the process of attachment removal. This is something you can try, but just know that some attachments may require multiple attempts at removal or deeper shamanic work than a guided journey meditation can provide.